Project Run and Play – Week 1 – Popover Sundress Remix
I have decided to play along with the sew along portion of Project Run and Play this season. I have seen it before – but haven’t ever followed it. I think I’m addicted and it’s only the first week! I really like their format. You have 4 weeks with a theme for each week. If you are sewing along, you make something following the weekly theme and link it up. Then you wait… until Friday when you see who won! In the meantime there are 6 “Real” contestants that are chosen before the season starts. They are working on amazing projects following the same themes. You get to vote on which you like best, then the winner provides a tutorial for their creation the week following the voting. They even get amazing prizes. Fun, fun, fun!
The first week’s project is to create a remix of the free Oliver and S Popover Sundress. I love the pattern as-is, but since it is fall here, I didn’t think a sundress would get us very far and might be outgrown by next year. So, as a remix, I decided to make a knit version out of one of my old sweaters. The goal was to make a jumper that could go over a short or long sleeve top, making it great for fall and winter – hooray!
The sweater I cut up turned out to be great inspiration. It already had a slit cut into the front neckline – so it worked perfectly for the back of the new jumper. I was even able to keep the length of the dress and use the hemline of the sweater – so no new hems, hooray!
I was able to use both the skirt and yoke pattern pieces from the original pattern. I finished the arm holes by facing them with bias tape on the inside. I also added thicker straps that are sewn in on either side of the yoke, to make it more suitable as a jumper for colder weather. Because the straps in the original Popover Sundress are tied so there is enough wiggle room to put it on, I needed to have the open back to fit it onto my daughter. Thankfully that required a really great button, and in a super contrasting colour to match my living room decor – red! The button on the back needed some friends – and the front of the jumper needed a little colour – so I added two to the front as well.
I really had some doubts while working on this one. The knit was finicky, and the “lines” created by the sweater knit were really obviously crooked if I didn’t stitch it straight. It was also very thick – which is not a really great combination when you are trying to make something in a hurry (as usual!). I do love that because the knit was so thick I ended up lining the yoke and straps, and the edges of the pocket with a really great red quilting cotton. And, bonus, I have had this piece of fabric in my stash for at least a couple of years and hadn’t used it because it is a really bright (almost glowing!) red – perfect for a lining!
The shape of the dress looked really “boring” without the pocket – which wasn’t in my original plan. I think I drove my husband crazy because he was working in our shared space as well and I kept asking him if the jumper looked okay. I think I almost gave up on it at least twice. I am SO glad I kept going, and am really happy with how it turned out. It really helped to be able to try it on my daughter about 3/4 of the way through – it looked so good it helped me to keep going.
If you are playing along I’d love to see what you are making - make sure to leave a comment with a link below! If you want to see what everyone is doing, make sure to visit the Project Run and Play Week 1 sew along link-up, and read their blog for updates on the contestants. I’m excited to see who is the winner! Next week’s theme is candy – and I’ve got two ideas – my husband even bought me some inspiration for that one last night. I love when sewing and sugar meet up!