Welcome back to Week 4! Today we will start our second page with the materials listing. It’s the Mitten Page – another simple one! And I thought we should complete the peek-a-boo theme we started with the House Page, kids love surprises! Of course faces are especially interesting to the little ones, and having a photo of themselves (or any other random baby!) is very exciting.
The mitten on this page is large enough that I can fit my hand in it. I liked this feature when my daughter was younger, since I could show her how to use it and we could play together. The vinyl photo pocket is created in a way that allows the photo to be changes by you, not the little fingers you are making the book for! Ready to get started? (If you are just starting find all the information you need on this Sew-Along page.)
Before I go into the details – here is your shopping list for Week 4. (Click the list, Print it, Find your fabrics!) I’m loving how scrappy this is, it’s emptying my scrap bin little by little! If you chose to make this book with the cohesive look, you will need to use your cohesive fabric for the background of this page. ** Update: You will also need a small piece of ribbon for the side tab! It is not on the list as I missed it the first go-round. Cut 1 piece 3 1/2″ long, or use the extra length from your photo edging ribbon.
Shopping List Details:
I recommend that the background for this page be a quilting cotton weight so it is not too thick later when you stitch the pages together. I made my mitten from flannel, because it is soft, like a mitten! And the mitten cuff is best in a knit fabric, so everything is soft for your little one. Match the fabric’s number in the photo with the description below for more detail.
For each of these fabric pieces I have given you a scrap size that is larger than you will need, except for the fabric background and interfacing – this is noted in the list below.
- Page Background – 1 piece (quilting cotton recommended) exactly 9″x9″
- Page Interfacing: 1 piece exactly 9″x9″ square, medium weight fusible interfacing (you will have this from your Week 1 shopping list)
- Photo Vinyl: 1 piece clear vinyl 5″ x 7″ (I used 12 gauge, but I’m sure 8 gauge would be fine as well)
- Photo Edging: 20″ 3/8″ wide ribbon (grosgrain recommended)
- Mitten: 1 piece fabric 7″ high x 16″ wide (flannel recommended)
- Mitten Cuff: 1 piece 3″ high x 9″ wide (rib knit recommended, a very stretchy knit will do fine as long as it is not very thin)
- Baby Photo: 3.75″ x 3.75″
That’s it for this week. Be sure to go out and find the cutest baby you can for the photo! Likely yours?! And, how are you enjoying the sew-along? I’d love to see your finished pages. Please check the Sew-Along page for ways you can share your book.
As usual, please let me know if you have any questions: email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment.