I love when a long, planned project is finally finished. These Diamond String quilt-as-you-go pillows have been on my to-do list for so long now. Amazingly, two great reasons came at the same time so I could justify making a new project!
First, I wanted to use my Fabric Please! blogger bundle to make something, because I love the colours together! Second, PillowCubes contacted me to see if I wanted to review their pillow inserts. (P.S. Enter for a chance to win the blogger bundle until June 23, 2015.)
So…. Pillow fabric + Pillow Insert = Obvious obligation (*wink*) to make the tutorial you’ve been dying to try!
I’ve got a mini tutorial later on with the measurements for making your own 12″ x 16″ Diamond String pillow, but first a word about PillowCubes. When I first looked at their site I wasn’t sure what to expect. A pillow insert is a pillow insert, is a pillow insert, right? For my sample, I checked the list and ordered an Eco-Friendly 12×16 insert. May as well save the environment as much as possible!
When my sample arrived in a Flat Rate envelope I was amazed it would fit in there – turns out they are vacuum sealed to save space. Once opened, the pillow puffs up to its normal size. I love that the pillow is:
- made of good quality unbleached cotton (Less chemicals)
- stitched and edge-finished on 3 edges, the 4th is folded
- and the filling is distributed evenly and out to the corners
- the recycled filler is soft, and fluffy, just like it should be!
All in all I’m really pleased with the insert and I’m especially happy that it is Eco-Friendly. Though, they do have Polyester Fill, 3 types of Down Fill and Synthetic Down, if you’d like more options.
I also really like that you can save quite a bit of money ordering by the “cube” – a box of pillow inserts! If you don’t think you’ll use that many inserts, share with a couple of friends. Or get a box and use your stash to gift throw pillows to everyone this year. (Get a discount below!)
PillowCubes are American Made and ship from the US, they also ship to Canada and Internationally. My order (to Canada) arrived in only 9 days!
Use the discount code: ThreadRidingHood10 to get 10% off your first PillowCubes order. This code never expires! Use the discount code to purchase a sample pillow, a pillow cube or a custom order!
I always dread sorting out the math in my quilty projects, so I thought I’d write out the measurements I used below in case you want to make one too. It perfectly fits a 12″x16″ PillowCube insert!
- Cut 4 pieces of low loft batting as your foundation pieces – 7 1/4″ x 9 1/4″ (these are purposely oversized)
- Create your quilt-as-you-go Diamond String blocks. This tutorial was really helpful, use the batting as your foundation instead of muslin.
- Trim the blocks to 6 3/4″ x 8 3/4″ and stitch them together with a 1/4″ seam.
- Cut 2 backing pieces – 13″ x 13″ – for the envelope back. Hem the inside edge of each piece.
- Layer the pillow front with the envelope backs aligned to each side (hems in the centre). Baste the layers together.
- Bind the edge using your favorite machine/hand stitched binding method. You will need about 70″ of 2 1/2″ wide binding.
Reader Feedback: What is your favorite pillow cover tutorial?