Ready for the next Quiet Book Sew-Along Page? This week we are gathering materials and cutting out everything we need for the Purse/Pocket Photo Album page. I decided to add a new version of this page because I am trying to create a unisex book. Everyone wears jeans – so a little jean pocket seemed the best way to go! Next week will cover making the Pocket with the mini Photo Album and the week after will be the tutorial for making the Purse version.
The mini Photo Album can hold up to 12 photos. Each little vinyl pocket is double-sided and the little square photos are so cute. I filled the new album with pictures of when my girls were little, because babies love looking at other babies! When I made the original quiet book, I put a photo of each relative in the book, so my youngest could learn to recognize their faces. (If you are just starting find all the information you need on this Sew-Along page.)
I recommend that the background for this page be a quilting cotton weight so it is not too thick later when you stitch the pages together. Make sure to get the materials needed for both versions as well as the materials needed for your chosen page version. The pattern pieces are provided under the materials listing and directions for cutting below that. If you’d like, print out the pattern pieces now so you can cut them out as you go. If you chose to make this book with the cohesive look, you will need to use your cohesive fabric for the background of this page.
Materials needed for both versions:
- PATTERN PIECES:
- Page Background
- Option 1: 3 piece ombré background – Top & Bottom pieces: 3 1/4″ high x 9″ wide + Middle piece: 3 1/2″ high x 9″ wide
- Option 2: 1 piece 9″x9″
- Page Interfacing: 1 piece 9″x9″ square, medium weight fusible interfacing (*all interfacing is from your Week 1 shopping list)
- Album Outer/Lining: 2 pcs 3.5” x 7”
- Album Vinyl: 2 3/4” x 5 3/4”, cut 1 for every 2 photos you have (I used 12 gauge, 8 gauge would be fine as well)
- Album Batting: 2 pcs of low loft batting, 2.75” x 3”
- Album Interfacing: 2 pcs 3 1/2” x 7” medium weight fusible interfacing *
- Album Photos: 2 1/4″ square
- Ribbon: 8″ long to attach the album to the purse/pocket
- Ribbon: 3 1/2″ for the side tab
Materials needed for Purse Version Only:
- Purse Outer/Lining: 2 pieces, 7 1/2” wide x 6” high
- Purse Outer Interfacing: 1 piece, 7 1/2” x 6” – medium weight fusible interfacing *
- Ribbon: 1 piece, 7″ – to embellish top edge of purse
- Ribbon: 2 pieces, 2″ each – for purse loops
- Metal Hoops: 2 pieces, 1″ diameter
- Purse Handle: 1 piece 8″ x 2″
- Purse Handle Interfacing: 1 piece 8″ x 2″ – medium weight fusible interfacing *
Materials needed for Pocket Materials Only:
- Pocket Outer/Lining: 2 pieces, 6 1/2” wide x 7” high
- Pocket Outer Interfacing: 1 piece, 6 1/2” x 7” – medium weight fusible interfacing *
Before you begin:
- Print out the pattern piece pdf on letter size (8.5″ x 11″) or A4 paper. Important: Do not select “fit to page” when printing, make sure you print at the original size. Once you have printed the pages, measure the 1″ test square to ensure the pattern is the correct size.
- Pre-wash (if possible, a baby might be chewing on this book!) and iron your fabric well before beginning.
- Cut 2 of either the purse or pocket using the printable pattern piece provided in the materials listing.
- Cut each piece of fabric, interfacing or ribbon as it is noted in the materials listing.
Your pieces should match the drawings below – check the photo that matches your desired version.
That’s it for this week. See you next week to put together the pocket version!