Skip to content

Made By Me Monday – the MADE Beach Robe

2013 January 21

So… I was going to post this in the early afternoon today – I even had a plan for how I was going to have time. But, we are in the midst of the start of potty training, and my youngest has announced that she has “Super Super Super Pee.” (Say it again in a cute two-and-a-half year old voice with a slight lisp and extra inflection on the third “Super” and it’s funnier!) So, the plans were delayed and we spent countless hours in the bathroom a lot of quality time together today.

 

I have been waiting to share this project for a while now – but somehow I didn’t ever find the time to get “the photo shoot I saw in my head” out onto the camera.  If you are following on Twitter last night I said I was tearing the living room apart (and I wasn’t kidding), you do what you’ve gotta do when you only have one “photo appropriate” blank wall in your house!

Anyhow – the kids and I have had a blast and I am excited to show you what I made for my girls and their cousins this Christmas. (It is possible, however, that I am more excited about the photos than the project… we’ll see!)

the MADE Beach Robe

I have been waiting to make these robes for a few years. It seems this is my life right now – I am starting and (thank goodness) finishing things I have been wanting to do for a while.  Such is life with little kids.

The pattern is from MADE, the Beach Robe. This thing is a really great idea. We have used them for the kids and they love how warm they are and the ties are great so they don’t fall off.

The hood is the best. I’m glad I chose to line them. The pattern includes lining the hood or not – but it really adds more colour and professionalism to the whole thing. I made my own bias tape also, to match the lining. At the time I went crazy making 8-9 metres of bias tape for each robe – ack! Now I am glad I did. The striped bias tape on the blue robe especially looks great because of the angle.

I mentioned these before in an October post, here. As you can see there is one more that didn’t get finished – the trucks just didn’t make it as the Christmas crunch time happened. It’s on the to do list for the little guy’s birthday!

There were so many photos I couldn’t leave out… so now you get to enjoy them too!

Of course the graphic designer in me can’t stop at the robe. I packaged them up with my little square tags. This year I decided to attach them by stitching them on and I’m pretty happy with the results. Also, it’s much easier than trying to tie them on with a ribbon. The robes tie quite neatly into a squarish ”package” and stack up pretty cute too!

 

The parting photo and another quote (this time right before bed) from my little one make everything worthwhile. “Mommy?…. You are the best mommy… in the world… ever… luv you.”

 
6 Responses leave one →
  1. mom permalink
    January 22, 2013

    Those are the cutest- the robes and the grandaughters! :) You did a great job on the robes …and are going a great job on the grandauthers too! :)

  2. Laura permalink
    January 24, 2013

    WOW! These came out beautiful!! When I last saw them at your house, they were a pile of cut fabrics. Once again, I’m so inspired! Thanks!

  3. Rosanna permalink
    January 29, 2013

    Wow! Sherri, you are fantastic!! These robes (and your entire blog) are adorable :) I just started sewing last month and am in awe at what you can do! I know who I’ll be coming to with my future sewing quandaries!

  4. February 17, 2013

    what a cute little set-up! Fun pics and cute robes :) . Thanks for sharing with me!

  5. June 6, 2013

    Hi! I just bought the same pattern and found your link in the comments. My son is a size 5/6 and I was wondering, if I had to extend the pattern to fit him…how would I do that? Would I just hold the pattern up to him and then eye ball it, or should I just guess and add a few inches around and see how that goes?

    • June 6, 2013

      I used one of my daughters sweaters to gauge the sleeve length, and measured the back-neck to knee length and made the robe body a bit longer. If you do check the sleeve length add a bit of extra because it is nice to be able to fold up the sleeve end to make a cuff – looks really cute! There is a lot of room in the size 4 pattern already. I think I could have left it alone and it would have still fit my daughter. I think the alterations made it so it will be wearable into a size 7 or 8 even. Though maybe not with the cuffed sleeves.

      I’m not sure if you are asking how to add the length – so here is a link to a good tutorial on how to add length to a pattern piece – http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/how-to-shorten-or-lengthen-a-pattern. Sorry if you already know this!
      Hope that helps.

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

CommentLuv badge